Skype Virus 2012 is an update to our blog post Skype Virus for Window users – How to solve the problem, delete the virus and use Skype again.
We have noticed a lot of people have gone through the steps in our previous post but the Skype virus has just come back again.
Here is a full updated description of how to get rid of the Skype virus and how to download Malwarebytes which will help to ensure you remove the Skype virus.
How do you know you have the virus?
The virus sends messages to all your contacts on Skype, the message reads: “lol, is this your new profile pic? (link)” (there may be other versions of this message). The virus is sent through the link to all of your contacts; you may have sent it once or twice or even more times to your contacts. It’s very important that you don’t type anything during this time as you have been “Keylogged”, this means that anything you type the hacker can read, so for example if you type your email user name and password, this will make your email vulnerable to being hacked.
How to get rid of the virus?
1. If the Skype icon is displayed in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen, right-click it and select Quit.
2. Click Start, type “run” and press Enter. (On Windows XP: Click Start and then Run.)
3. Type “%appdata%skype” and click OK.
4. A folder will open, you need to show all hidden files. So go to “Organize” and select “Folder and Search options” and under “View” you need to click “Show hidden files, folders and drives”, Click Ok.
5. Two files will appear “shared.ick” and “shared.xml” – delete these two files. It’s then best to get out of this folder and go back into it, and check to make sure the files are still deleted.
6. Go to your recycle bin and delete files from there as well.
7. Download Malwarebytes antivirus software for free and Perform Full Scan, once completed see the infected objects that are deleted and click to remove them.
8. Re-open Skype and go to “Tools” -> “Options” -> “Advanced” -> “Manage other programs’ access to Skype” Here you should only have Skype video software, anything else that looks out of place delete, or anything with an odd name or a load of numbers delete.
9. Close Skype and go to the Skype website and download version 5.1
10. Re-boot your computer
How do I know when the Skype virus has gone?
Check your contacts again and see when the last time you send an odd message to your contacts, if it was before you did the above steps then you have successfully removed the virus.
If you have any other problems in deleting the Skype virus then please leave a comment below and we will try and help out.
You can download Malwarebytes from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Login and download the latest version 5.1 from here: